Newspapers in France are reporting that Manchester United will sign Monaco midfielder Nampalys Mendy on a free transfer.
The French under 21 star has rejected new contract terms and wants a new challenge, with the Premier League champions his preferred destination.
Monaco boss Claudio Ranieri is mystified and has been left disappointed by the 20-year-old’s decision: “I do not understand his [Mendy’s] attitude. As soon as I saw him play, I said here is our Makelele. I trusted him and I played him.
“I think he will miss out on a great deal. But it’s his life, not mine. He has preferred to listen to his brother and agent and not his coach. It’s a shame.”
As Ranieri said, Mendy has been repeatedly likened to French legend Claude Makelele. He is a small and agile midfielder who, despite his frame, is strong in the tackle.
Mendy has played at every youth level for France, from under 17 to his current under 21 status. He helped France win the Toulon Tournament earlier this month.
It is possible that Mendy is keen to leave after Monaco’s ambitions to sign multiple international players has now surfaced and he feels that may block his progress into the first team in Ligue One and Champions League.
- Manchester United Ready To Roll Out Red Carpet For French Starlet Nampalys Mendy (insidefutbol.com)
- Manchester United set to sign highly rated Monaco star Nampalys Mendy on free transfer (metro.co.uk)
- Man Utd poised for Nampalys Mendy move? (sportsmole.co.uk)
- Who is Manchester United transfer target Nampalys Mendy? (metro.co.uk)
- Manchester United want to sign Monaco’s Nampalys Mendy (dailymail.co.uk)
- Manchester United keen on French freebie (footballfancast.com)
- Nampalys Mendy to leave Monaco (sportsmole.co.uk)