The Barcelona midfielder scored one with his left foot, one with his right foot and a header to put Spain in the driving seat to win their second consecutive European Under 21 Championship.
Thiago told Uefa.com: “The best feeling possible in a match and in a football tournament is to win the title.
“To have been able to enjoy the great tournament this team have produced, I just want to thank all my team-mates for winning us one more trophy for Spain.
“I think it was really great, to score goals and above all to help the team. We were good right across the pitch and my team-mates really helped me get those goals.”
Thiago was quick to praise tournament top scorer Alvaro Morata, who scored four goals to aid Spain’s title-winning form: “Morata is an exceptional player and he’s really given us a lot in this tournament. He helped us win the games that won us our group and get to the final too – he’s a great No9,” Thiago said.
“The goal in the last final [against Switzerland in 2011] was completely different from this one, but it’s always nice to score in a final.”
- Thiago leads Spain to victory over Italy (espn.co.uk)
- Thiago hat-trick sees Spain retain U-21 title (vanguardngr.com)
- Spain beat Italy to lift Euro Under-21 title (ibnlive.in.com)
- Thiago hat-trick sees Spain retain U-21 title (thenewstribe.com)
- Manchester United target Thiago Alcantara stars with hat-trick as Spain win U21 Euros (metro.co.uk)
- Thiago inspires Spain to victory (standard.co.uk)